Monday, September 03, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday: Labor Day Edition

Annie says:

I'm making time travel incredibly easy this week! We've traveled all over our lives and today we are going to travel to yesterday. If you live in the US, you probably celebrated Labor Day in some way... even if it was just staying home for the day. What did you do yesterday, who did you spend time with? What was the highlight of the day? Were there any disappointments?



Well--for us Labor Day is bittersweet. It truly is the last day of summer, summer vacation that is, as my boys' first day of school is tomorrow. Austen will be starting his sophomore year and Sam will begin his sixth grade year. The boys didn't do a whole lot--slept in, played nintendo, played sudoku on-line, atelots, played nintendo, tossed the football around, played nintendo....you get the drift!

I on the other hand had several "little" projects to accomplish. The morning started off rather relaxing as I didn't even roll out of bed until 9:30. Sarah and Jesse were here, as they spent the night the night before because their apartment had fleas and they had treated their place the day before and didn't want to sleep there--I guess our family room floor sounded more appealing. I must say, it was fun having them here--we had cinnamon rolls for breakfast and Jesse made us omelets--yum! While I began this little laundry project, they went outside and painted some little shelves they had found at a garage sale a while back. I washed and folded tons of laundry and also managed to sort through Sam's summer and winter clothes too.

THIS:
BECAME THIS:
And THIS dirty laundry hamper is now empty!

I also had targeted a small, but VERY full closet in our dining room for a major overhaul. It has always been called the home-schooling closet as when we home-schooled I stored all our school supplies and miscellaneous stuff in there. Slowly extra kitchen stuff has made its way in there too and was in such a disarray that I DREADED opening the door.


Much sorting, organizing, condensing and five garbage bags later, here are the before and after shots!
BEFORE: This picture is actually the top two shelves.... Can you tell???






AFTER:----shelf one


shelf two......

BEFORE:AFTER:
BEFORE:
AFTER:

Off and on throughout the day I was treated to some beautiful saxophone music. On Saturday, Austen brought home his brand new (well newly overhauled, new to us) intermediate level sax. It is beautiful--he begins tryouts for jazz band the first day of school at 6:30 a.m. Needless to say, he has been practicing! Because Austen got a new sax, Sam inherited the old (beginner) one, as he is graduating from his clarinet to the sax this year in band!

Austen:



Sam:


It was a great day! The only disappointment being that school starts tomorrow! :) My favorite time of the day was eating breakfast with Sarah and Jesse--it reminded me of all the weekends during their engagement that he would come down to Seattle from school to be with her. They are great fun to hang out with!







post signature

7 comments:

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

What a productive and enjoyable day you had.

Annie said...

Wow! You got a lot done! Loved all the pics.

Irene said...

That was a day well spent, then. Having accomplished so much at home and having your family around you, that is great.
I feel rather sad this year, as school starts and my "baby" will go to Primary School for the first time, and our elder daughter goes to secondary school. But I am grateful they grow up.
Thank you for sharing your photos. They are beautiful and you are a courageous lady!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day -- some fun and relaxation, some projects done -- sounds good to me!

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

Your were a busy bee yesterday ~ Come to my house today, please!

http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow, you were busy! I have a couple closets I need to tackle here!

Karen said...

You had a wonderful, productive day -- and still got to spend time with family and sleep in. Way to go! The best part of our day was sleeping in, too.

Do you like your salad spinner as much as Barb? (I'm assuming that's what is in the back of your cabinet!)