Monday, April 21, 2008

Birthday Milestone

Ninety!!!





Last Friday, we traveled to my parent's house, about 45 minutes north of where we live, to celebrate my Grandma Hattie's 90th birthday! My aunt and uncle had come over the mountains from where they live in Eastern Washington and it was a grand time seeing them again and celebrating with my little grandmother. She didn't want a fuss, of course, as she is ever so practical. But we couldn't let this milestone pass by without a party.

If you remember my posts from last week, I complained miserable about the snow they were predicting for different areas around us. My parents live in what is called a convergence zone, and quite often get snow, while we will not, just 45 minutes to the south of them. As we got on the freeway to travel up there, the sun was out by us. After we traveled through the heart of downtown Seattle, and got closer to their house, it began to spit rain, then sleet, and by the time we were about 10 minutes from their house, it was out and out snow, accumulating on the side of the road and on the tops of cars.

My mom had a lovely spring table with daffodils and candles, and my cousins had sent an edible bouquet of fruit which added to the springness of the event, yet outside the snow was piling up! I have pictures of my boys out on the back deck, and by the time we left their house at 10:00 p.m., they had over 2 inches on the ground!

Global warming....pffffttt!



Approaching down town Seattle--dry roads, but ominous clouds!


Starting to spit a bit


Getting off the freeway by my parent's house






Four generations: my Grandmother, my Mom, my daughter Sarah and me!



post signature

4 comments:

Joyful Days said...

Happy Birthday, Grandma Hattie! All I can say is, "Wow!! 90!"

My comments on you photos:

(travel photos) Ewwwww!!!

(the three table photos)Pretty & YUM!! YUMMMMMMM!!!

(the gentlemen)Handsome.

(the generations)Priceless.

Glad the photos got better as they went. :)

Blessings!

Julie

Karen said...

The picture of the four of you is just beautiful. I like the way you did it in black & white.

Daffodils and snow. Sounds like Colorado.

gail@more than a song said...

Wow, 90! I love the name Hattie...that cake looks so good.
And that last shot of 4 generations, what a treasure! That's a great picture.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

That's awesome, happy belated birthday to her! Everything looks so pretty and so good, and as you say, spring-like, such a great contrast to the snow, LOL! I love the generational photos, such a wonderful memory and treasure.