Monday, March 30, 2009

'lil of this, 'lil of that....

On other fronts, life is pretty darn mundane. Tomorrow is Monday and it will be rainy here, I am sure. Another work week starts already and I am still trying to figure out where my weekend went?

Austen is sick. Still. He was the 2nd one of the boys to get the flu, but he just hadn't bounced back like his brother, even after a week. I realized just how cruddy he was feeling (and sounding) so I scheduled a doctor appointment last Friday. The verdict? Sinus infection. This is the 2nd year in a row he has had this happen after a lengthy bout of a nasty virus--and almost down to the exact same week both years--in fact, it may be going on 3 years that this has happened. Poor guy.

Because my weekend was so nutty, I don't have my groceries purchased for the week--and only the beginning of a meal plan!
But tomorrow we are trying a new recipe a co-worker shared with me. It smelled way better than it sounds--although it does sound hearty:

Meatloaf Soup
1 lb. hamburger
sliced carrots (as much as you like)
2 large onions
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 (16 oz) can of tomatoes (I used petite diced)
1 can butter beans
Green pepper
Handful of celery
2 tablespoon vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
I may add a can of mushrooms

Fry hamburger. Slice carrots and onions and add to large pot. Add rest of ingredients and simmer until carrots are soft.

I think we are going to have Broccoli Cornbread with this, which is another new recipe:

Broccoli Cornbread
5 eggs beaten
1 large onion chopped
10 oz pkg, frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
1.5 sticks of butter melted
2 cups cottage cheese
2 (each 7 oz) pkgs.cornbread mix
2 tablespoon sugar

Combine all ingredients and pour ijnt a 12x9 pan. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
Note: good cold or split and toasted under broiler with a little slice of cheese.


Not sure what we will eat the rest of the week--hmmm...may spaghetti one night and sloppy- joes another. Thank goodness for that Wednesday night dinner at church every week. :)


Well--off to bed for me. After all, it IS 1:00 a.m.!

post signature

1 comment:

Karen said...

Both recipes sound good, especially the broccoli cornbread. My son will not eat cornbread. But he loves broccoli. I should try this one:)