Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Call me crazy, but......



......Ok, Ok, (maybe ) this will be the last challenge I join. I know I have joined a lot, but not so much compared to some of the book blogs I have visited! This one is just too fun to pass up. It is hosted by Becky and here are the rules:

The challenge is designed to "celebrate" author birthdays. Choose one author for each month of the year. Read at least one book a month. 12 authors. 12 birthdays. If you like, you can read MORE than that. If you're really obsessive, you might want to "celebrate" all 52 weeks of the year. (But even I am not THAT zealous!) The challenge is designed to 'celebrate' the special bond--the connection--that occurs between the author AND the reader as well as the connection between readers. It is very easy to "bond" with other readers over certain works, certain authors, etc.
You can choose picture books, poetry books, early readers, chapter books, fiction for middle grades, fiction for teens, adult reads, nonfiction, whatever you want. You could choose 12 picture books. You can read books in or out of your comfort zone.

You might want to make a list and choose alternatives for each month...that way you can narrow it down as you go. And you do NOT have to choose a book until the very moment you're ready to start reading. Just pick a handful of authors.

And here's the secret. If you change your mind, just be sure to change your list to reflect that change. I don't care how many times you change your list.

Now isn't that easy sounding? I love children's books and now that I am not homeschooling anymore I don't have quite the determination to read them. So all of my picks are children's authors and here is my list:


January: Clyde Robert Bulla (1/9/1914)
Alternate: A.A. Milne 1/18/1882~~~Completed

February: E.L. Konigsburg (2/10/1930)~~Completed

March: Dr. Seuss (3/2/1904)
Alternate: Marguerite DeAngeli--Completed

April: Garth Williams (4/16/1912)
Alternates: Beverly Cleary, Completed
John Burningham


May: Margaret Wise Brown 5/23/1910)
Alternates: Lillian Hoban 5/18/1925) and Scott O'Dell 5/23/1903 --completed


June: Anita Lobel (6/3/1934)--completed
Alternates: Lawrence Yep, Maurice Sendak

July: Natalie Babbitt (7/28/1932)--completed
Alternate: E.B. White

August: Tasha Tudor (8/28/1915)
Alternate: Edith Nesbit (8/15/1858)--completed

September: Roald Dahl (9/13/1916)-completed

October: Natalie Savage Carlson (10/3/1906)-completed
Alternates: Lois Lenski, Steven Kellogg, Alice Dalgliesh

November: Jean Fritz (11/16/1915)
Alternate: Holly Black or Madeleine L'Engle-completed

December: Noel Streatfield (12/24/1920)
Alternates: George MacDonald, Carol Ryrie Brink--completed


So any of my friends going to join this one? Becky, on her list of instructions even has links which take you to websites to find authors birthdays. It is o-so-easy! Thanks Becky for a great challenge.

It is January 1st.......Let the challenges begin!

post signature


1 comment:

Joyful Days said...

Oh my gracious, girl!! I am sitting here chuckling. I will be following your challenges very closely. :)